O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies, O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise, O they tell me of an uncloudy day.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Witness to a Witness - The First and The Last

In a friendly debate I'm having with a Jehovah's Witness co-worker, I've noticed a few trends in the way he responds to my points.

1) He never writes to me in his own words, instead he gives me an article someone else wrote.

2) He'll totally ignore and sidestep the verses I point out, instead he'll change the subject and point out a completely different verse as if the one I pointed out didn’t exist!

This disturbs me because it's obvious the Watchtower just dictates to him what to say, what not to say, and *dare I say* possibly dictates what he believes.

Even though they have a fine looking website with their translation of The Bible on it, how much actual Bible reading do they promote? Is he completely unaware of what the whole of The Bible says?

It's important, nay - it's absolutely vital, that we take the whole of The Bible, in context, rightly divided, into account for doctrine instead of just a few verses. It’s the most important rule we should follow to avoid heretical doctrine.

The verses I want to highlight for this weeks installment are some of the verses my friend has ignored in our debate. I wonder if you can guess why the Watchtower might not want him discussing them?


Jehovah, whom Christians would call "God-The Father", is God Almighty without a doubt, that's one point nobody argues about! That makes the verses below so powerful.

The First example is from Isaiah:
(Isaiah 44:6 New World Translation)
“This is what Jehovah has said, the King of Israel and the Repurchaser of him, Jehovah of armies, ‘I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God
He is the first and the last....and he is one God. Very Good!

Compare that with the King James rendering of that verse:
(Isaiah 44:6 King James Version)
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
If we compare the two, it's fair to say the NWT is pretty faithful to the KJV, so it's a good one to show them in their own Bible.

But notice how clearly both versions say that Jehovah is:
1) The only God
2) The first and the last

Now lets look at a New Testament passage in Revelation that says something similar:
(Rev 1:17-18 New World Translation)
17 And when I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet. And he laid his right hand upon me and said: “Do not be fearful. I am the First and the Last,
18 and the living one; and I became dead, but, look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of Ha′des.
The First and last again, and now it mentions him being dead, then alive.
Compare that with the King James version:
(Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version)
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
A good fair comparison again, so another good verse to show them in their own Bible.

Next let's connect the Isaiah verse with the Revelation passage. The person talking in Revelation is the same person talking back in Isaiah, this person is "the First and the Last!"

- it is Jehovah God!

And he:
...was dead; and, behold,
I am alive for evermore
That can be none other than Jesus Christ, nobody else would qualify for that description!

There it is, in their own Bible (The New World Translation) it says that Jehovah became incarnate in Jesus Christ! And it says so in their own translation, which is a key point worth repeating.

As always pray that the person you are witnessing to will have courage, and that their hearts and minds would be open to Gods leading.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing,your blog is always well done with good graphics.
    My issue with Jehovah’s Witnesses is that their entire doctrinal superstructure rest squarely on the ‘invisible’ second coming of Jesus October 1914.There is no way they can evade this patently false dogma.
    Jesus specifically forewarned about false prophets who would say,”look he is here in the wilderness,or see he is here in the Temple”.Jesus further warned to “not go after them”.
    (Matthew 7:15)
    --
    Danny Haszard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Danny.

    I agree with your point of the false prophecies the Watchtower has made several times. I will address them in time and I appreciate you bringing up the subject as it disqualifies them as having any authority what-so-ever.

    My initial focus at the outset of this blog is on the fundamentals of our faith, and defending them against "philosophy and vain deceit" (Col 2:8).

    Once that foundation is laid I'll be digging into the topic you have raised.

    Thank you and may God bless you abundantly!

    -RB
    (Colossians 2)

    ReplyDelete