O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies, O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise, O they tell me of an uncloudy day.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Devotion - Not Common or Unclean

I want to be an encouragement to people, and I really hope this blog will be that to someone. The blog title "An Unclouded Day" and the theme song all point to a happier time, encouraging us to keep on keeping on!

Today is Easter Sunday, and the resurrection is the perfect picture of this weeks devotion.

The text is from Acts chapter 10 where Peter sees a vision in Joppa, then travels to Caesarea to see Cornelius

(Acts 10:9-15)
9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.


(Acts 10:24-28)
24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him.
26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.
27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
As I was reading this chapter in Acts today, I was thinking about a line in the song 'Amazing Grace' - "that saved a wretch like me". It sounds kind of harsh to word it like that, but in my case it's very true.

If we are honest we would all have to admit to having "wretch-like tendencies" from time to time. And we would have to admit to feeling terribly hurt when others were wretched towards us.

I was a wretch before I was saved, and am still a wretch after I accepted Jesus as my savior. And even though he knew ahead of time that I can't stop being a wretch, he died for me anyways, and made me clean.

He has shown us that whoever God has cleansed is no longer common or unclean. This will really be made clear to us when we too are resurrected to eternal life!

I am eternally thankful Jesus Christ changed me from a common and unclean man, into a new creature!
(2 Corinthians 5:17)
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Dear Lord I thank you for saving me, Lord please help me to as gracious, loving and forgiving to other wretches as you have been to me - in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment